America, we have a problem. Distracted driving is a dangerous epidemic and one that continues to grow each year. In California, 40% of all drivers have admitted to checking their texts or emails while behind the wheel. Furthermore, it’s estimated that 80% of all motor vehicle accidents involve some form of driver inattention. Nationwide, up to 3,000 Americans are killed in distracted driving crashes each year.
Megeredchian Law recognizes that something needs to change. We also know that the first step to solving a problem is admitting that there is one. That is why we’re offering a $1,000 scholarship for students willing to admit they’ve been a part of the distracted driving epidemic who can also outline the steps they’ll take to eliminate distraction while behind the wheel.
Break The Habit Scholarship Overview
The Break The Habit Distracted Driving Scholarship is a $1,000 annual scholarship meant to promote discussion and reflection on the dangers surrounding distracted driving and driving habits. Students are encouraged to reflect on their driving behavior and write a 1-3 page essay outlining a time they gave in to distracted driving and what drove them to give in to distraction. Students should also incorporate a personal plan for how they intend to stop driving with distraction for good.
Was there a time you read texts while driving on the highway? Do you habitually record Snapchat stories while behind the wheel? We want to help you own up to your bad driving habits and work to correct them.
Eligibility & Requirements
US citizens entering or attending an accredited university or law school in the United States as a full-time student are eligible to apply. Applicants must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above. In addition to an essay submission, applicants must also complete the scholarship application form. The following materials must be submitted to [email protected] by Friday August 30th, 2019:
- A completed scholarship application form
- A typed essay submission
- A certified copy of the student’s transcript
- An acceptance letter from an accredited university (if the student is an incoming freshman)
- The recipient of the Break The Habit scholarship will receive $1,000 to be used only for university or law school tuition and related educational expenses.
- The $1,000 check will be made payable to the recipient’s school.
- The application period will end Friday, August 30th. The award recipient will be notified of selection by Friday September 27th.
- By accepting the scholarship, the recipient agrees to allow Megeredchian Law the right to use the content of the submission, the recipient’s name, the name of the university or law school, and/or pictures of any of the above on the firm’s website and other marketing materials.
Again, all completed scholarship materials should be emailed to [email protected] no later than Friday August 30th, 2019 to be considered for selection.