Hit and Run Accident Attorneys
Hit and Run Accident Attorneys
Hit and Run Accident Attorneys
If you or your loved one has been injured from a hit-and-run driver, it is very important that you contact our experienced personal injury attorneys today to hold the at-fault parties liable.
What is a hit-and-run accident?
Hit and run accidents occur when a driver involved in an accident flees the scene. This does not necessarily mean that the driver is completely liable. That is why it is very important to contact our Car Accident Attorneys today to determine how we can assist you with your hit and run accident claim.
Leaving the scene of an accident is a very serious offense, and could result in substantial fines. California has the highest rate of hit-and-run accidents than any other state in the United States. In California, hit and run is considered a misdemeanor, and there is the possibility of sentencing for up to six months in County Jail. The state requires that drivers who have been involved in an accident exchange information and provide aid if necessary. Between 2010 to 2019, there were around 3,000 fatal hit-and-run accidents in California. These numbers are at an all-time high, and it is important that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as you’re involved in a hit-and-run accident.
Can I sue after I have been involved in a hit-and-run accident in California?
If you have suffered any injuries as a result of the hit-and-run accident, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Examples of damages you could recover include property damage and medical bills. Unfortunately, there are several reasons why drivers leave the scene of the car accident. For example, many drivers may not have insurance, a valid license, or would not want to deal with rising insurance rates.
What type of injuries are common in hit-and-run accidents?
- Traumatic brain injury
- Head injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Back injury
- Broken bones
- Property damage
Common Cause of Hit-And-Run Accidents
Pedestrians who oftentimes walk after daylight are more likely to be involved in a hit-and-run accident. Drivers are more likely to flee the scene late at night and early in the mornings.
Who is liable in a hit-and-run accident?
If your hit-and-run accident is complex, there are most likely multiple defendants involved in the accident. The multiple parties could include:
- Truck drivers
- Car manufacturers
- Government entities
- Maintenance company responsible for road maintenance
As a plaintiff who has been injured in a hit-and-run accident, you have the right to collect compensation from any at fault party in California.
How long does it take to investigate a hit-and-run accident in California?
In Los Angeles, the police department has 10 days after the date of the accident to investigate who the possible hit-and-run driver may be. All police officers must investigate hit and run accidents, and must submit their investigative reports to their superior and to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
When should I report a hit-and-run accident in California?
A hit-and-run accident should be reported within two years of the date of the accident. Once the police determine who the hit-and-run driver is, your insurance company will file a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
What if the hit-and-run driver is not found?
Even if the hit-and-run driver cannot be found, you are still able to seek compensation from your insurance company.
When should I file my hit and run accident lawsuit In California?
In order to file a personal injury lawsuit against an at-fault driver in California, the lawsuit must be filed within 2 years of the accident. If you file the lawsuit after the 2 years statute of limitations has passed, you may lose the right to file a lawsuit and seek compensation. We encourage everyone to speak to our personal injury attorneys as soon as possible in order to prevent the statute of limitations time period from passing.
What type of compensation could I recover for my hit and run accident claim?
- Property damage: one of the most common types of damages a hit-and-run accident victim could recover is property damage. Usually, hit-and-run accident victims are left with damaged automobiles.
- Medical bills
- Past lost income
- Future lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Wrongful Death Hit and Run Accident Attorneys
If your loved one passed away from a hit-and-run accident, you may have a claim for wrongful death against the hit-and-run driver. A wrongful death claim is a lawsuit filed by immediate family members of the deceased, and is meant to seek compensation for several different types of expenses such as burial expenses. For more information on wrongful death claims, contact our Los Angeles wrongful-death attorneys at Megeredchian Law today.
How much do our hit-and-run accident attorneys’ cost?
All accidents are devastating. But, hit and run accidents are most likely to cause anxiety and panic simply because the other driver is not present after the accident to exchange information. Below are some steps we encourage you to take if you are ever involved in a hit-and-run accident.
- Move your car out of the way to avoid any potential future accidents.
- Do not panic: although this is very difficult to do after an accident, it is very important to stay calm in order to gather as much information about the accident as possible.
- Gather evidence: gather evidence, including where the accident occurred, any witnesses that may have seen the accident, and pictures of the property damage.
- Contact the police: the police will also conduct their own independent search as to who the hit-and-run driver may be. Provide any information that you have gathered about the accident to the police officers.
- Seek medical care: even if you do not feel as though you have suffered any injuries, it is still important to seek medical care after an accident. An accident can cause injuries such as traumatic brain injury that would not become obvious until weeks later and are not visible.
Contact our top-rated car accident attorneys for a free no risk consultation to discuss your hit-and-run accident claim and who the potential liable party may be.
Why choose Megeredchian law?
- Our car accident attorneys have decades of experience representing clients who have been injured in hit-and-run accidents.
- Our experienced attorneys provide individualized attention to our clients to make sure that all of their concerns are addressed.
- Our accident attorneys understand the financial difficulties a hit-and-run accident may cause; therefore, we work on a contingency fee basis.
- Our car accident attorneys will work with law enforcement and private investigators to determine who the potential hit-and-run driver is.
- Our attorneys communicate with the insurance companies in order to protect you from any low offers that they may have.
- We have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
- Our attorneys are not afraid of going to court if the parties do not end up settling. Our trial attorneys are the best in California.
- Our attorneys have access to various Los Angeles car accident experts who could provide more information regarding the circumstances of the accident.
We are available 24/7 via phone, email, and have offices conveniently located near you. We represent clients all throughout the state of California, and have a track record of representing our clients successfully. We understand how overwhelming you could be being involved in a hit-and-run accident, and we are here for you every step of the way. Contact us today.