Drowsy Driving Accident Attorneys
Drowsy Driving Accident Attorneys
Drowsy Driving Accident Attorneys
If you have been involved in an accident that includes a drowsy driver, contact our experienced car accident attorneys today.
What is drowsy driving?
Drowsy driving occurs when a driver gets behind the wheel of a vehicle when they are tired, and there is a risk of them falling asleep. The lack of sleep causes the driver to be inattentive, possibly even close their eyes for a couple seconds. When this occurs, the driver is not completely aware of the circumstances around them, and may cause an accident. The less sleepy driver gets, the more likely they are to be involved in a car accident.
This is especially true for commercial truck drivers who have to get from one side of the state to another in such a short amount of time. Usually, truck drivers have a specific time limit they must deliver the goods by. When they fail to follow this time limit, they could get a write up with their employer. Because of the stress and pressure, truck drivers are forced to drive at increasingly high speeds, and not even take breaks for resting. When this occurs, truck drivers are at a high risk of getting involved in a car accident. This could be especially dangerous when trucks are involved since they are heavy and can cause severe damage to other vehicles on the road.
Drowsy driving is a serious problem, especially in the state of California where people oftentimes have two different jobs and have to go from one place to another after their first shift. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 in 25 drivers have admitted to falling asleep behind the wheel within a month. Drowsy driving accidents have also accounted for around 100,000 accidents that were reported in America. This number could be much higher since many drivers may not admit that they were drowsy while driving, or the accident has not been reported.
It is also reported that drowsy driving car accidents are most likely to occur in the early hours of the day. During this time, those who have late shifts are probably returning back home from work.
What are the causes of drowsy driving accidents?
Some causes include:
- Failing to stop at a stop light or a stop sign
- Staring into another lane
- Falling asleep behind the wheel
- Driving really slow
- Dropping your hands from the steering wheel onto your lap
- Failing to come to a complete stop when behind another vehicle
- Slowly inching towards another vehicle from behind when you are supposed to be stopped
How common are big rig accidents?
If you are involved in an accident caused by another driver who fell asleep behind the wheel, you must prove that they were negligent. In order to prove negligence, you must show that duty, breach, causation, and damages are met. These four elements are:
- Duty: the other driver had a duty to drive in a reasonably safe manner, and to prevent any accidents. Their duty was to not fall asleep behind the wheel, or to not get behind the wheel at all if they knew they were drowsy.
- Breach: the breach of the duty occurs when the driver decides to get behind the wheel knowing that they were drowsy.
- Causation: this is one of the most important elements when filing a lawsuit for drowsy driving accidents. You must have to show that the drowsy driver caused the accident. Usually, other parties do not readily admit that they were sleepy behind the wheel. That is why having our top rated drowsy accident attorneys on your side will help ease the process when filing a lawsuit.
- Damages: in an accident, you most likely have suffered several different types of damages, from property damage to medical bills.
How to prevent drowsy driving accidents?
According to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, there are some steps you can take to prevent drowsy driving. It could be very difficult to cause an accident, since it could take a financial toll on you and your family. Those who you have injured in a drowsy driving accident could hold you responsible in a lawsuit.
Some steps you can take include:
- Make sure that you get enough sleep. It is advised that you get at least seven hours of sleep each day.
- Have a strict sleep schedule. Those who fall asleep at different times of the night may experience more drowsy driving compared to others who have a set sleep schedule.
- Avoid taking any new medications and getting behind the wheel. Always discuss with your doctor the side effects of drowsiness prior to taking the medication.
- If you have a sleep disorder, make sure that you have it under control by speaking with your doctor.
Who can be held liable for drowsy driving?
- Those who are on medication are more likely to drive drowsy. Reasons for this may be because those taking medication for the first time may not know that being sleepy is one of the side effects.
- The drivers who have sleeping disorders also pose a very high risk of causing an accident.
Were you involved in an accident caused by a sleepy driver?
Call us today to see how we can help you get the compensation you deserve. Many do not even know that if they were to be involved in a car accident, they could get compensation from the negligent party. If a party were to admit that they were sleepy while driving and caused the accident, this could be especially easy for you and your attorney to recover compensation. The hard part is proving that the other driver was drowsy, and thus caused the accident.
Usually, other drivers who you think have caused the accident may reject the argument that they were drowsy or sleepy. That is why it is very important to have an experienced attorney to help you gather the evidence necessary to show that the other party was negligent. For example, if you were involved in an accident with a truck driver, having a top rated accident attorney on your side is important in order to get employment records to determine how many hours the truck driver was driving just prior to the accident. This is just one of the ways our experienced car accident attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve. Call our attorneys for a free no risk consultation. We will then determine what the next steps are for your specific case. Keep in mind that each drowsy driving accident case could differ from one another, and each requires specific steps to be taken. We are available 24/7 for our clients, and always want to make sure that our clients get the help they deserve.
Our car accident attorneys will work hard to make sure that you get compensated for your drowsy driving accident injuries. Examples of damages may include:
- Lost income
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Emotional distress
- Future home care
What are some injuries caused by drowsy driving accidents?
- Back injuries
- Hand injuries
- Leg injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries