Sacramento Accident Attorneys
Sacramento Accident Attorneys
Drunk Driving Attorney in Sacramento
Drunk driving is one of the most common reasons for accidents in Sacramento. In the event that you or a loved one has been involved in an accident with another driver who was drunk, contact our lawyers so we can better assist you when determining what steps we should take to make sure that you assert your rights.
Car accident victims have several different rights California grants them in the event they have been involved in an accident. You should not have to suffer injuries and financial responsibilities all on your own. When there is another party responsible for your injuries, you have the right to hold this party liable in a lawsuit.
It takes a highly qualified Sacramento accident attorney to help you get the legal care you deserve. An inexperienced Sacramento attorney may not be able to get all the compensation you need. It could be very difficult to deal with insurance companies and other third-party attorneys. That is why we recommend that you choose a lawyer that is right for you. Our car accident lawyers in Sacramento have decades of experience representing car accident victims in Sacramento.
Drunk Driving Statistics In Sacramento
On a nationwide level, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there are around 10,000 fatalities that result from drunk driving accidents. But, these fatalities are simply the ones reported. There are also several hit-and-run fatalities that result from drunk drivers that flee the scene.
- In California, there are around 1,000 fatalities that result from drunk driving accidents.
- In California, there are around 10,000 drunk driving accidents that occur each year.
- There are around 25,000 people arrested for drunk driving in California in a single year.
Drunk Driving Laws In Sacramento
Sacramento follows the California Vehicle Code. The California Vehicle Code is a set of laws dedicated specifically to drivers and pedestrians in California. All drivers and pedestrians on the road must follow these rules and regulations. In the event that they fail to follow these rules, and it leads to a car accident, the victim has the right to reference these codes when filing a future lawsuit. Below are just some laws that pertain to drunk driving accidents in California.
- It is illegal for one to have a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08% or higher. In the event that someone has a blood alcohol concentration higher than this number, they may be arrested, or have their license revoked. It depends on the circumstances of the DUI charge. But, in the event that the blood alcohol concentration is 0.15% or higher, there are stricter consequences.
- In the event that you have been stopped or pulled over because of the police officer’s suspicion that you are drunk, you are considered to consent to a blood alcohol concentration test. There are different tests, such as a blood test or a breathalyzer test. In the event that you reject any of these tests, a police officer has the right to arrest you.
Can you sue for a DUI in Sacramento?
In the event that you have been involved in an accident with another person who has been charged with a DUI, you have the right to file your own personal lawsuit against them for the damages that you have suffered. This is different from the state’s charges. Since the DUI is considered a criminal charge, the state of California has a right to take criminal action against the drunk driver. From this lawsuit, you have the right to recover compensation for the damages that you have experienced.
What do I have to prove in a drunk driving accident?
If you have been injured by a drunk driver in Sacramento, there are a series of factors that you must have to prove in order for you to get compensation. This is done by speaking to witnesses, police officers, and accident reconstructionists.
The different factors that your attorney will have to focus on include:
- Proving that the driver was drunk and under the influence of alcohol or drugs under California Vehicle Code 23152. This could be proven through either a blood test or a breathalyzer test.
- The drunk driver failed to drive safely and cause a car accident.
What kind of damages could I recover in the event that I have been injured by a drunk driver?
In the event that you have been harmed by a drunk driver, you have the right to get compensated for your injuries. There are several different types of damages that you could receive from a drunk driver lawsuit. Examples of damages include:
- Punitive damages: this is a very common type of damage that is associated with drunk driving accidents. Punitive damages are rarely awarded by the courts. But, when it comes to drunk driving, courts are more likely to grant this to the injured victim. Punitive damages are meant to make an example out of the drunk driver. It is meant to deter others from taking the same actions and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Medical bills: those who have been involved in an accident may need thousands of dollars reimbursed for their medical bills in relation to the treatments and surgeries that they have received.
- Future medical treatments: besides the past medical care that they received, victims of a car accident involving a drunk driver could also recover future medical treatment damages.
- Lost earning capacity: this type of damage takes into consideration the victim’s loss of earnings in the future. Drunk driving accidents usually lead to severe injuries that may affect a person’s life forever.
- Pain and suffering: this type of compensation takes into consideration the amount of suffering that the car accident victim had because of his injuries caused by the drunk driver. Pain and suffering take into consideration the emotional and mental toll that injuries could have on a victim.
- Loss of consortium: this is awarded in wrongful death cases to family members of the person who passed away from their injuries caused by the drunk driver.
Could I file a claim with my insurance company if I have been involved in a drunk driving accident?
If you are a victim of a drunk driving accident in California, you could file a claim with your insurance company to get compensation for the injuries that you have suffered. You could file a lawsuit with your own insurance company or against the drunk driver’s third-party insurance company. You could also finally lawsuit against the drunk driver in the event that the insurance claim has not paid out a sufficient amount that you need for your damages.
Get immediate legal help today by contacting our highly qualified Sacramento DUI accident attorneys. If you or a loved one have been involved in a drunk driving accident, and the drunk driver has caused injuries, you have the right to get the Justice you deserve. Give us a call today to see how we can help you. We offer free consultations where you have the chance to speak to our Sacramento car accident attorneys one-on-one to determine what we could do for you.