How To Build A Bus Accident Claim
When you are involved in a bus accident or collision, you have the right to file a claim for your injuries to seek compensation for all you have suffered. Give our attorneys a call today to see how you can strengthen your case and make sure that all your rights are represented, and you have the best care you deserve.
If you are planning to file a lawsuit or a claim against negligent parties involved in your bus accident lawsuit, there are specific requirements that you must have to meet. Missing a specific requirement could make you lose out on thousands of dollars, and potentially your entire case. There are specific steps that you should always take when filing a bus accident claim, as discussed below. But, keep in mind that each lawsuit and accident can differ from one another depending on the circumstances and the parties involved.
Do Buses Have a Duty To Their Riders?
- A Bus is considered to be a common carrier. A common carrier is a type of transportation that carries passengers from one point to another. California law requires that all common carriers act in a reasonably safe manner to prevent any accidents that involve their passengers. This means that they have to take every possible measure to make sure that the ride is safe, and no passengers are injured in an accident.
- This means that if a common-carrier knows of any part of the bus that needs repair, they must repair the defect. If they fail to repair the defect, they will then be held responsible for any injuries that result.
- If the common carrier was not aware of the defect, but should have known of the defect, they are still held responsible for violating their duty.
- Common carriers also have a duty to make sure that they follow up and maintain all safety measures passed in the city, along with adopting all safety designs.
- A Common carrier has a responsibility of preventing any attacks from third parties. This means that they must have proper safety measures in place, such as adequate lighting and adequate seating areas to prevent any type of injuries from third parties.
- A Common carrier is held to a higher standard of care when a passenger that is a young child boards the bus.
What Happens To Your Body When You Get Hit By a Bus?
If you have been involved in a Pedestrian and Bus Accident, you most likely have suffered life-threatening injuries. Oftentimes, pedestrian and bus accidents could even be fatal, and result in multiple deaths. That is why the injuries that result from a pedestrian and bus accident are severe, and could include traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, paralysis, and paraplegia.
Can You Get Compensated From a Bus Accident?
In California, you have the right to get compensated for any injuries you have sustained from a bus accident if it was caused by another negligent party. You have the right to hold the negligent party responsible for a variety of damages, including your economic damages, which include your lost wages and medical bills, along with your non-economic damages, which include your pain and suffering Involved with your injuries.
Can You Sue The Los Angeles Metro For Your Accident?
Los Angeles Metro is known in the city of Los Angeles for offering commuter bus rides to different parts of the city. Each year, there are millions of passengers that ride the bus. But, there are also several different accidents that occur each year that lead to severe injuries. If you have been involved in an accident with Metro, you have the right to sue the city of Los Angeles for your injuries.
The party you would be filing the lawsuit against would be the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority. This is the governing body that deals with the Metro buses, and regulates rides and passengers.
How Do You File a Lawsuit Against The Los Angeles Metro For Your Accident?
There are several requirements that you must have to meet when filing a lawsuit against Los Angeles metro for your injuries. Having an experienced personal injury law firm on your side will help ease the process of filing a claim, while having an experienced attorney on your side that has gone through the process previously.
In order to file a lawsuit against any government entity, all the requirements are listed under the California Tort Claims Act. The California Tort Claims Act sets out specific requirements when filing a lawsuit against the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority. In order to file a lawsuit, you must first initially file a claim with the county. Just some of these steps include:
- Filing claim against the required government entity within six months after the accident. If you file your claim after the six months have elapsed, your claim may expire and you will not be able to file a claim against the government entity for your injuries again.
- The government entity will then either deny, accept, or try to negotiate a settlement amount. If the government entity denies your claim, you must file your lawsuit within one year of the denial.
Do I Need To Have an Attorney For My Bus Accident Claim?
When filing a claim against the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority, you do not necessarily need to have an attorney. You should have an attorney when you file a lawsuit in court later when the county denies your claim. But, we recommend that you have an attorney from the very beginning. Having a car accident attorney when filing the initial claim will help tremendously, especially because your attorney will help gather all the necessary evidence and requirements. Some examples of evidence that you may have to submit include:
- Proof of Residence.
- Medical Records.
- Images of where the accident occurred.
- Information of the witnesses to the accident.
What Should I Do After a Metro Accident?
The best thing you could do after being involved in a Metro Accident is seeking proper medical care. Getting examined by a medical provider immediately after a bus accident will help determine what type of injuries you have suffered, and what type of damages and compensation you may need.
Take as many photos as possible of the accident, and write down all the contact information for every passenger that has been a witness to the accident. The more witnesses you have, the stronger your case may be. Give our attorneys a call today for more information.
Contact A Los Angeles Bus Accident Attorney Today
Unfortunately, many bus accidents are preventable. But, having an experienced attorney on your side when filing a bus accident claim is one of the most important things you can do. Many people are not aware that they could file a claim for their injuries they have suffered in the Metro buses. Our car accident attorneys will help against the specific government authority. We will be on your side every step of the way to make sure that you get the help you deserve.
Give us a call today to discuss your bus accident claim. Unfortunately, bus accidents are common within the Los Angeles area, given that there are several pedestrians, motorcyclists, and bicyclists on the road. The best thing you could do for yourself is having an experienced bus accident attorney that will help guide you every step of the way.