How To Report a Slip and Fall

Slip and fall accidents could lead to very devastating injuries. Unfortunately, slip and fall accidents start very common, whether it takes place in someone’s home, hotel, and amusement park, etc. Slip and fall accidents can result in traumatic injuries such as brain injuries, back injuries, spinal cord injuries, and broken bones. It is very important to have a trusted slip and fall attorney on your side to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve.

There are specific actions you must take after a slip and fall accident. Every step you take after the accident could essentially determine the entire lawsuit. After the accident, you should contact an experienced slip and fall attorney right away as to what to do next. Usually, many may not even be thinking about talking to an attorney after they have just been through an accident. In California, you are entitled to receive compensation for your injuries in a slip and fall accident if it has been caused by another party’s negligence.

Filing a slip-and-fall lawsuit is oftentimes complex, especially if there are multiple parties involved. For example, if the land you fell on has several different owners, there are specific legal steps you must take to determine liability on each party. Hiring an experienced accident lawyer could essentially make or break your entire case.

How can I report a slip-and-fall injury claim?

We understand that after a slip and fall accident, seeking medical attention should be the first thought on an injured party’s mind. However, after getting the medical help they deserve, injured parties forget to take the necessary steps to file a slip-and-fall injury claim. In order to successfully report a slip-and-fall injury claim, several steps need to be taken. These include:

  1. Gather information on where the accident occurred, and who the landowner is. For assistance on determining the land owner, contact our slip and fall attorneys today.
  2. Contact the landowner where the slip and fall accident took place.
  3. Report the accident to the landowner. It is very important that you make sure the person you are reporting the accident to is the correct party. Reporting is not required; however, it puts the landowner on notice for a potential lawsuit.
  4. File an accident report. Usually, several businesses have protocols in place where accident reports must be filed if a slip and fall or a trip and fall has occurred on their promise. This report is filled out by one of the business’s employees. Usually, accident reports need very crucial information such as where the accident occurred, when the accident occurred, all employees that were working at the time, and information about your injuries.
  5. Gather any witness information.
  6. If there were cameras where the accident occurred, make sure that you gather all video surveillance footage. Usually, if your slip and fall accident took place on a business, they most likely have cameras.
  7. Take pictures of where the accident occurred. This is a very important step when filing a slip and fall accident claim. Usually, defendants try to fix what caused the accident immediately after the slip and fall. It is very important that you document the environment that caused the slip and fall accident immediately.

What should I do after a slip and fall accident claim?

  1. Keep everything you were wearing the date of the slip and fall accident. Insurance companies will try to blame you for the slip and fall accident, possibly blaming it on your shoes. It is very important that you hold on to everything that you had the day of the accident.
  2. Make sure that you are attending all your necessary medical appointments. Usually, slip and fall accidents can cause back injuries and spinal cord injuries that may require physical therapy sessions. It is very important that you attend all these sessions. Failing to continuously treat your injury could be used against you by the defendant.
  3. Contact a top-rated slip and fall accident attorney near you. Our accident attorneys have been representing slip and fall and trip and fall accident victims for decades, and we understand the different steps we must take to make sure that you get the justice you deserve.

What should I not do after I file a slip and fall accident claim?

  1. After a slip and fall accident claim, it is very important that you do not speak to insurance companies. This includes anybody working for the insurance company, from a representative to an adjuster. Insurance companies will almost always try to get a statement out of you after the accident. This statement could potentially be used against you in your lawsuit. Make sure that your attorney contacts the insurance company directly.
  2. Do not post anything on social media. Even though you may think your social media is private, insurance companies will hire investigators to look into your social media photos and use them against you.
  3. Do not accept any settlement offers without consulting your slip and fall attorneys first. Your attorney will be able to give you more information on whether the settlement offer is fair.

Time Limit for Slip and Fall Accident Claims

California has a statute of limitations time period that states that slip and fall accidents must be filed within two years from the date of the accident. This means that you must act quickly, and you must contact a slip and fall attorney right away.  However, there are several exceptions to this rule. For example, if you did not discover the injury immediately after the accident, you may qualify for an exception that allows you to file the claim within one year from the date you discovered the injury. This could be very tricky, and you are walking on a very fine line with the court. Filing your slip and fall claim too late could lead you to lose your rights to file a lawsuit and to seek compensation. Your entire lawsuit could get dismissed if you file too late.

Time Limit for Slip and Fall Accident Claims Against the Government

If you have fallen on government property, such as a park or a public swimming pool, you must file the lawsuit against the corresponding government entity. In California, you have six months from the date of the accident to file this lawsuit against the appropriate government agency. If you wait after the six months, you will potentially lose the right to file a lawsuit.  When a lawsuit is filed against a government agency, it will be dealt with through an administrative hearing. For more information on your government entity claim, contact us today.

What if I am a minor?

Under California, minors are those that are under the age of 18 years old. There are specific statute of limitations that apply to minors who have been injured in a slip and fall accident. If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident and you are under the age of 18, you have two years from the day you turn 18 to file your slip and fall accident claim. This means you have until 20 years old to file a claim with the court. However, in certain circumstances if the minor’s parents have already filed on behalf of the minor, then the minor cannot file the slip and fall claim anymore. For more information on statute of limitations exceptions, and to determine if any exceptions apply to you, contact our accident attorneys today for a free no obligation consultation.

Slip-And-Fall Injury Lawyer Near You

Our attorneys have offices located in several major cities in California. We are here for you every step of the way, and know how to maneuver through the legal process to make sure that your rights are well-represented. We have been serving California residents for decades, and will assist you throughout this tough time.

Free Consultation

Take the first step to Victory
GIVE US THE 101 AND WE’ll CALL YOU BACK IN <1 MINUTE. Tell us about your accident in the form below or call (888) 243-2050, we’re available 24/7 and you’ll speak directly to our founder Alex Megeredchian.

We usually call back right away. If you need us to review additional documentation, please attach it to the email you’ll get after completing the form

Free Consultation