What If I Was Hit By An Uninsured Driver?
In California, all drivers are required to have some type of car insurance. It is a law that no driver could get behind the wheel if they do not have car insurance. Because of this rule, several hit-and-run incidents take place. Many who do not have car insurance and get involved in an accident flee the scene because they are afraid of getting caught. You could face serious penalties for driving a vehicle uninsured.
If you are hit by an uninsured driver, there are some steps you must take in order to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve. Any car accident could be devastating, but it could be especially devastating knowing that the person who caused the accident does not have insurance to compensate you for your injuries.
Car accidents can lead to very severe injuries such as traumatic brain injuries and back injuries that could alter your life forever. If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, contact our car accident attorneys immediately to see how we can navigate through the legal process in your favor. Being hit by an uninsured driver could lead to several questions such as: who will pay for my medical bills? Will I be able to get compensation if I have been hit by an uninsured driver? What should I do after I have been hit by an uninsured driver? Our car accident attorneys at Megeredchian Law are here to navigate through the legal process for you and to answer any questions and concerns you may have regarding your uninsured accident claim.
Below are some steps you could take after you have been hit by an uninsured driver.
These steps are very crucial to your future lawsuit when seeking compensation for your injuries. Although everyone who has been involved in any accident should follow these steps, this is especially important for those who have been hit by an uninsured driver.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident: it is very tempting to leave the scene of the accident from frustration because the other driver does not have insurance. You may feel as though there is nothing else left to do at that point. Do not leave the scene without calling the police and getting all the required information from the uninsured driver.
- Seek a medical evaluation: even if you believe that you have not suffered any injuries, and no body parts hurt, it is usually the adrenaline that keeps you from feeling pain. After a couple hours, even days after an accident, injuries could start to show themselves and worsen. If you fail to get medical care, this could be used against you. Do not put your health off.
- Contact the police: police will arrive at the scene shortly then create an accident report. The accident report will go into specifics as to where the accident occurred, how the accident occurred, and the different parties who were involved.
- Take photos of the vehicle damage and the accident scene: this will assist you when filing a property damage claim.
- Do not negotiate with the uninsured driver: after an accident with an uninsured driver, the uninsured driver will try to offer a settlement amount in exchange for not reporting this to the police or to your insurance company. Although you may feel sorry for the uninsured driver, do not take any offers from the uninsured driver. This could potentially prevent you from filing a claim against them or seeking compensation from your insurance company.
- Do not admit liability: after an accident it could be very easy to take the blame and say sorry. Do not apologize for any actions you have taken in the accident, and try to keep your communication with the uninsured driver as minimal as possible. Try to avoid making any statements of liability. This could potentially be used against you in a future lawsuit you have filed. Many may even apologize for doing something they are not even responsible for.
- Contact a top rated car accident attorney: our car accident attorneys know the different steps we must take to make sure that you get the justice you deserve. We know it’s not easy to navigate through the legal process, especially if you’re dealing with an uninsured motorist. We will handle all the complexities for you.
- Contact your insurance company: your insurance company may have coverage for other uninsured or underinsured drivers. However, although this may seem nice at first, insurance companies will try to downplay the liability and offer a low settlement amount. The insurance company’s best interests are to protect themselves rather than your health.
There are essentially two different routes you could go if you have been involved in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. These are:
- Pursuing the uninsured driver individually for all your medical bills
- Filing an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company
To determine which course of action will work best in your favor, contact our experienced California car accident attorneys today. During your no obligation consultation, we will take into consideration how the accident occurred and your circumstances. We will then be able to determine which route we could take.
What is uninsured motorist coverage?
Uninsured motorist coverage is a policy provision under your insurance that allows you to seek financial compensation from your own insurance company if you have been involved in a hit-and-run accident, or in an accident with an uninsured driver. But it is important to remember that the coverage is very limited.
Even though you may have uninsured motorist coverage, it is still important to have an attorney on your side. The insurance company will always put their own interests above you, and will not assist you in getting the compensation you deserve. Having an attorney on your side will assist you when seeking a fair compensation amount. An attorney will be able to investigate your legal claim and have evidence to back up the damages you are seeking.
Could I file a lawsuit against the uninsured driver?
If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, and you have sustained injuries, you may be able to personally file a lawsuit against the uninsured driver. However, uninsured drivers do not have insurance because they cannot pay for it. If this is the case, having a judgment out against the uninsured driver may not be very helpful to your lawsuit. To determine if such a lawsuit could be successful, contact our car accident attorneys today.
Why hire our uninsured car accident attorneys?
- We will investigate the car accident and determine liability
- We will determine who the liable parties may be
- We will determine the amount of compensation you deserve
- We will negotiate and settle with insurance companies
- We will file all the necessary paperwork associated with the legal claim
- We work on a contingency fee basis, and only collect compensation if we recover money in your favor
If you have been hit by an uninsured driver, you need experienced car accident attorneys on your side. Our attorneys know just how to navigate through the legal process to get the compensation you deserve.
For more information on how we could help you, con Megeredchian Law today. We are committed to our clients and making sure that they get the compensation they need. We worked tirelessly day and night for our clients and are available to them 24/7 in the case that they have any questions or concerns. The next steps to take after being involved in an accident with an uninsured driver could be very complex and difficult to understand, especially since each step you take depends on your circumstances. For more information on what steps best suit your case, contact us today.