What Should I Do After A Dog Bite?
In California, almost every homeowner has a pet. One of the most common pets in California are dogs and cats. Dogs are considered to be a man’s best friend, but unfortunately, accidents are bound to happen. Dog bites are very common in California, especially in Los Angeles. Dog bites could cause very severe injuries, such as permanent disabilities that may make the victim suffer thousands of dollars in lost wages and medical bills. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are around five million dog bites that occur each year in the United States. Almost all dog bites occur by a known dog. Younger children are more likely to be bitten by a dog. Unfortunately, they are also more likely to suffer severe injuries.
It is important that after suffering a dog bite you have the legal representation you deserve. Our top rated accident attorneys have decades of experience representing victims who have been injured by dogs. We understand just how devastating and traumatic it may be to suffer a dog bite, especially if that dog was an animal that you grew up with or closely new.
In California, those who have been injured by another’s dog have the right to file a lawsuit against the dog owner. There are several different types of circumstances that the dog must fall under in order to file a lawsuit. For more information, contact our dog bite attorneys for a free no risk consultation. It is important to remember that a dog bite lawsuit must be filed within two years from the date of the accident. That is why we encourage everyone to contact our top-rated personal injury attorneys immediately for a free no obligation consultation. The sooner you see an attorney, the more likely you will be able to hold the responsible party liable for your injuries.
In order to file a successful dog bite lawsuit, our dog bite attorneys advise victims to take several different steps after the accident.
What to do after a dog bite:
- Get the information of the dog owner: similar to a car accident, it is very important that you get the dog owner’s information as soon as possible. Examples of important information include the owner’s driver’s license information contact information. Later on, this will be used to contact the dog owner when determining the dog’s vaccination.
- Stop the bleeding: Run the dog bite under clean water, and carefully clean the blood. It is advised to use a cloth to add pressure and stop the bleeding of the area prior to going in to seek medical care.
- Make sure that you wrap the wound with a sterile cloth or bandage. A used cloth could aggravate the infection.
- Seek medical attention immediately after the accident. We advise everyone to seek medical attention the same day as the dog bite accident. The longer you wait, the more likely the injury could get severe and aggravated. For example, an infection could spread. One of the most important steps you must take after a dog by accident is to seek medical attention. If you fail to seek medical attention, it may be used against you in a future lawsuit. Usually, antibiotics are needed after a dog bite. Antibiotics are used to treat infections. Antibiotics are only offered with a prescription.
- File a report with animal control: the Animal Control Department will not put the dog down, but will be able to prevent any future accidents.
- Get a tetanus shot: If more than five years has passed since your last tetanus shot, we advise our clients to get a tetanus shot to prevent an infection caused by a dog bite.
- Document your dog bite as much as possible: it is very important that you document the dog bite and take personal photos of the bite. Not only will this help your medical provider, it will also help our attorneys when determining the type of compensation you deserve. We also advise our clients to keep a daily journal mentioning the different difficulties the victim is having since the dog bite.
- Contact a dog bite attorney immediately: there is a specific time frame as to when you must file your dog bite accident claim. Filing your accident claim too late could cause you to lose your right to file a lawsuit and to recover compensation. Our attorneys have extensive experience dealing with victims who have been injured in a dog bite. This includes clients with insurance claims, trials, lawsuits, and settlements.
What type of compensation could I receive for my dog bite?
The type of compensation you could receive depends on the circumstances of the dog bite. For example, the more severe the dog bite is, the more you will likely end up recovering in compensation. The different types of compensation include:
- Past lost wages
- Future lost wages
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent disability
What not to do after a dog bite accident?
- Do not discuss who was at fault immediately after the dog bite accident
- Do not talk to any insurance adjusters or insurance representatives without consulting with your attorney
- Do not accept any settlement offers
- Do not accept any money from any party
- Do not write any letters to the other party without consulting with a lawyer
- Do not record yourself making any type of statements
What happens if a dog bite is not treated?
It is very important that you seek medical care for your dog bite after an accident. Not treating your dog bite could lead to very serious injuries such as infections or diseases, such as rabies. Failing to treat severe infections could even cause death. This is especially important if you have been bitten by a dog you don’t know.
How To Avoid A Dog Bite
There are certain steps one may take to prevent suffering severe injuries from a dog bite. this includes:
- Always pay attention to the dog’s behavior. Usually, instances such as growling and showing teeth may be the first indication that the dog is being prepared to bite you.
- Do not look at a dog directly in their eyes.
- Always make sure that the dog is not trying to be defensive or aggressive.
- If you feel as though the dog is being aggressive, slowly walk away.
Have you ever been injured in a dog bite accident? Contact us today for help with your dog bite accident
Our team of dedicated dog bite injury attorneys are available 24/7 to make sure that you get the assistance you need when filing a dog bite accident claim. You should not have to go through this alone. Our top-rated accident attorneys are on your side every step of the way to make sure that you get the representation you deserve, and you get the maximum compensation you deserve. We have recovered around 300 hundred million dollars for clients, and understand how to navigate through the legal process in your favor.
While you focus on healing from your injuries, our attorneys will focus on making sure you get the compensation you deserve.
One of the most important steps you can take after a dog bite accident is to locate the dog owner. Unfortunately, if you have been bitten by a stray dog, you may not be able to recover any compensation or hold any party liable. However, if you are able to locate the dog owner, you could hold the dog owner responsible for any lost income, and any medical bills you have suffered. Usually, those who have suffered a dog bite injury may need plastic or cosmetic surgery to help with any scarring.
Talk to our experienced legal team today to see how we can help you recover from your dog injury and hold the responsible party liable for what you have suffered. You should not have to do this alone.