What Should I Do If I Have Been Injured By A Drunk Driver?
Drunk Driving Incidents could be very brutal, and result in severe injuries, along with a traumatic experience that the victim will never forget. We understand just how difficult it may be to be involved in an accident caused by a drunk driver. In California, there are several strict laws and regulations in place that try to prevent a drunk driver from getting on the road after they have consumed large amounts of alcohol and / or drugs. Unfortunately, drunk drivers still end up choosing to get behind the wheel and drive home while being under the influence. This can not only put themselves at risk, but other motorists are also at risk.
Our Los Angeles drunk driving attorneys understand the anxiety associated with being involved in an accident caused by a drunk driver. If you have found yourself on the other side of the accident, where you have been the victim of a drunk driving accident, having an aggressive and compassionate attorney on your side will help ease the process tremendously. Drunk driving incidents could result in Severe Injuries that must need several treatments and follow-ups with medical providers. While you focus on those injuries, our attorneys will make sure that your rights have been adequately represented, and you are compensated for what you deserve.
After being injured by a drunk driver, several thoughts may be running through your head. Some questions may include: could I file a lawsuit against a drunk driver for my injuries? How much will I be able to recover from my drunk driving accident injuries?
Common Injuries Caused By Drunk Driving Collisions
Unfortunately, drunk drivers very rarely suffer severe injuries, and it is always the other drivers and passengers that suffer severe injuries. A reason for this may be because the drunk driver has large amounts of adrenaline running through their blood, and does not feel exactly everything since they are under the influence. That is why victims of drunk-driving usually suffer severe injuries compared to the actual reckless drivers themselves. Common injuries that victims of drunk driving include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Traumatic brain injury is a very common injury that results from drunk driving, and occurs when there is an abrupt force and trauma to the driver’s or passenger’s head. Traumatic brain injury will most likely result in permanent injuries that may affect the victim’s life forever and impact their future income and family relationships.
- Internal Bleeding: Organ Injuries are very common after a two-car collision. Internal bleeding will need immediate medical care, and most likely will require several surgeries.
- Broken Bones: Broken bones will not only require several surgeries, but future physical therapy treatments as well. In severe circumstances, the victim’s limbs may have to be amputated.
- Burns: Accidents that result in fires could lead to severe third degree burns. These burns could result in permanent disfigurement that could impact the victim’s life forever.
- Glass Lacerations: When a car accident occurs, a vehicles’ glass may be shattered. This will then lead to severe lacerations and punctures which may lead to permanent scarring.
Why Should I File a Lawsuit For My Drunk Driving Accident?
If you have sustained injuries from a drunk driving accident, you most likely have thousands of dollars in medical bills, and also other costs from your lost wages. You or your loved ones will not want to pay for all of these associated costs, especially if there was a negligent party that caused it to begin with.
Could I Still File a Lawsuit Against The Drunk Driver If They Were Not Charged?
You can hold the drunk driver responsible for your injuries, even if they have not been criminally charged. The lawsuit that you are filing against the drunk driver is in civil court, whereas any charges filed against them will be in criminal court.
Will a Bar Be Held Responsible For My Drunk Driving Accident?
Under California’s dram shop laws, a restaurant or a bar that sells alcohol could be held responsible for any accidents or injuries that result if their employees served alcohol to intoxicated minors. If the intoxicated minor, then causes such accidents and injuries, the restaurant or bar will be held responsible, and could be a party to the case.
Could a Party Host Be Held Responsible For My Drunk Driving Accident?
California has social host laws that hold the host of a party responsible for providing alcohol to a minor if the minor causes an accident with severe injuries.
What Should I Do After Being Injured In a Drunk Driving Accident?
If you are involved in a drunk driving accident, there are specific steps that you could take to make sure that you have met all your requirements necessary to file a lawsuit against the responsible party. This includes:
- Taking Photos Of The Accident: Take photos of the accident scene, such as where the accident occurred, photos of the vehicle damage, and photos of any injuries.
- Take Down Any Eyewitness Information: Make sure that you have accurate eyewitness information, such as their full name, phone number, and email address.
- Call The Police: When the police arrive on scene, they may take breathalyzer tests to see if the other driver was in fact under the influence of alcohol and / or drugs. This will help tremendously when gathering evidence for your future lawsuit.
- Keep a Record For Any iInjuries: That you have suffered from the accident. Make sure that you constantly update this record with any indications of pain you are having that day, and whether your injuries are getting better.
- After The Accident: Make sure that you write down your experience of how the accident occurred. Drunk driving lawsuits may take several years to settle or to go to trial, and during this time you may forget how the accident occurred. That is why having a record that details exactly what you remember will help tremendously.
Call Our Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys Today
There are two types of charges that could be filed against the drunk driver. There could be criminal charges filed by the state, and there could be a civil lawsuit filed by a victim of a drunk driving accident. Our attorneys assist our clients when filing a civil lawsuit against the drunk driver who caused the accident. We always want to make sure that our clients get all the help that they deserve. Call us today to schedule your free case evaluation and consultation to discuss what the next best steps are for you. We have been representing drunk driving accident victims for decades, and know exactly how to maneuver through the courts to make sure that you get the best help you deserve. Give us a call today to discuss your case with our top-rated lawyers.
Our car accident lawyers also work on a contingency fee basis, and only recover compensation when we recover a settlement or a judgment in your favor. This means that we will front all the costs associated with your case and claim, to make sure that you focus on your injuries while our attorneys focus on getting the best compensation for you.