When do you need to hire a car accident attorney?
Being involved in a car accident could be very devastating, especially if you have suffered severe and major injuries. The good news is that if you have a trusted and experienced attorney on your side, the lawsuit that follows a car accident could be a very smooth and easy process. An experienced car accident attorney at Megeredchian Law will be able to represent your rights, and make sure that you get the maximum compensation you need.
One of the most common questions we receive from our clients is: when should I hire a car accident attorney? There are several factors that could determine the optimal time on when to hire a car accident attorney.
You want to make sure that you have a car accident attorney on your side during the most important parts of filing a car accident claim. Not having an attorney on your side during these crucial parts could break your entire case, and potentially cost you compensation you could have received.
There are around 6 million car accidents each year in the United States. This number is just the reported accidents, there may be several other accidents that are not reported. Unfortunately, you do not want to be involved in a rear-end collision, rollover accident, hit and run accident, DUI accident, etc. But, in the case that you are involved in an accident, you want to make sure that you have an experienced car accident attorney on your side.
Why should you hire a car accident attorney?
After an accident, insurance companies, such as adjusters and representatives will try to get a statement from the parties involved. Rather than simply asking the party what happened, they may ask argumentative questions to try to get as much information as possible. This may instead confuse the parties, and the parties may improperly get accused for causing the accident. You should not have to face insurance companies alone when this happens. You should have strong representation from your attorney, and your attorney should be able to communicate with the insurance companies.
Another tactic that insurance adjusters may use is offering a low settlement amount prior to the lawsuit being filed. An insurance company will try to pay out as little as possible, and so they will try to find the victim during their most vulnerable time and offer a very low settlement amount, simply to make the parties go away.
Personal injury law is a term used to describe the different types of cases where a person has been injured by another party, possibly through negligent action. Personal injury law has several different types of theories that may be difficult and complex when filing claims with the court. Having an experienced attorney on your side will ease the process when several legal complex theories are being thrown at you, especially from the defendant.
When should you hire a car accident attorney?
- When you have suffered serious injuries: if you have suffered serious injuries from an accident, then you most likely will need thousands of dollars in medical bills reimbursed. Other than medical costs, you may also have lost wages you missed out on while healing from these injuries. The insurance company will most likely not pay out the entire amount that you have suffered. That is why you should hire a car accident attorney to make sure that all of your damages are represented, and you are compensated for the entire amount.
- When there are multiple parties involved in the accident: when there are multiple parties involved in a car accident, it could get very difficult to figure out who is at fault. Especially if none of the parties are admitting liability, all will point a finger towards one another. Having a car accident attorney on your side will help you when investigating liability. Our attorneys have relationships with top accident reconstructionists that will determine who the liable party is.
- When insurance companies are trying to contact you: insurance companies will sometimes immediately contact you after an accident. Prior to speaking to an insurance company, make sure that you have a trusted attorney on your side.
What type of questions should I ask a potential car accident attorney?
When you are looking for a car accident attorney, there are specific questions that we advise you to ask in order to determine whether they are a great fit for you. There are several different car accident attorneys out there, but many may not have the adequate experience, or the staff necessary to be able to take on your claim. Some common questions we recommend you ask an attorney include:
- How long have you been representing car accident victims?
- What is your fee?
- Will I have to pay any out-of-pocket expenses?
- Who will be handling my specific case?
- Do you speak with insurance companies on my behalf?
- Will you be able to negotiate my liens with hospitals?
- When will my case be set to go to trial?
- How much is my case worth?
Why should I hire a car accident attorney?
- After being involved in a car accident, timing is very important. There are specific claims that should be filed with the court immediately after you have suffered an accident. This falls under a statute of limitations claim. If you file your lawsuit after the statute of limitations has run, then you could potentially lose your entire right. An experienced attorney will know how to handle insurance companies, along with all the time limitations involved with your case. Each deadline is different depending on the circumstances of the accident. For example, if you are filing a lawsuit against the government entity, then the time of it is much shorter. For more information on the statute of limitations for your specific case, contact our attorneys today.
- Having an attorney on your side will be able to potentially increase the amount of compensation you could receive. An attorney will be able to easily calculate your past expenses, such as your medical bills and lost wages, along with your future costs such as your loss of income, and your emotional distress. We have access to several different experts that will be able to put a monetary amount to these claims. They will be able to back up their claims through their experience and occupation.
- Failing to take just one step could break your entire case. In order to prove that the other party was negligent in a car accident, there are several elements of negligence that you may have to show. Failing to prove just one element could be used against you.
Our car accident attorneys have been representing car accident victims for decades, and understand just how difficult it may be to go through a car accident. Our attorneys always want to make sure that our clients get the financial assistance they deserve. We have seen so many people try to represent themselves after an accident. We have seen them lose out on thousands of dollars simply because they did not have a legal strategy, and were taken advantage of by insurance adjusters.
After an unfortunate car accident, you want to make sure that you have a top rated attorney on your side. Our attorneys offer free consultations, and are available 24/7 to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your case. We take every case with the utmost care, and we’ll be there for you every step of the way.