Sacramento Accident Attorneys
Sacramento Accident Attorneys
Wrongful Death Attorney in Sacramento
All types of accidents, whether it is a car accident or slip and fall accident, could lead to fatalities. Not all accident fatalities are considered wrongful death. Wrongful death is a legal term used to describe a fatality caused by a negligent accident. This means that if death resulted from a wrongful act from another party, the deceased family members could file a wrongful death claim. To file a wrongful death lawsuit, the surviving family members or the beneficiaries of the person who passed away could hold the negligent party responsible for the death.
For more information on your specific wrongful death lawsuit, contact our experienced legal professionals today for more information. Our top-rated Sacramento attorneys are on standby to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your potential wrongful death lawsuit.
According to the California Department of Public Health, there were around 800 fatalities that resulted from negligent actions. these fatalities were most commonly caused by car collisions and slip-and-fall accidents. These are just the reported number of unintentional deaths, and there could be more given that not all deaths are reported, and government agencies may not be able to track all this information.
What is a Sacramento wrongful death lawsuit?
The purpose of filing a wrongful death lawsuit is to seek compensation for the victim who has passed away in the accident. The family members have a right to file a wrongful death claim against the negligent driver in court to get compensated. The damages depend on the circumstances of the accident, and the impact the victim’s death has had on the family.
What are examples of wrongful death lawsuits in Sacramento?
- Car accidents that were caused by a negligent driver or a negligent passenger
- Medical malpractice holding the doctor or medical practice responsible for the family member’s death
- Death caused in an unsafe work environment. this holds the employer responsible
- Holding a product manufacturer responsible for a death caused by a defective product
Above are just some examples of a wrongful death lawsuit in Sacramento. There are several other accidents that could also fall under the category of a wrongful death lawsuit. Call our Sacramento accident attorneys today to review the specifics of your accident claim.
Who can file a wrongful death claim in Sacramento?
Sacramento follows the California state laws, and under the California Code of civil procedure section 377.60, there are specific members who could file a wrongful death lawsuit. If you do not fit under any of the below categories, you may not have the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit, and the court could reject your claim. Below are the parties that are entitled to compensation from a wrongful death claim in Sacramento:
- Domestic partner
- minor who is more than 50% financially dependent on the deceased
How can our Sacramento wrongful death attorneys help you?
Our Sacramento wrongful death attorneys can help you in several different ways when filing a wrongful death claim.
- We provide emotional support and guidance throughout a very difficult time. After experiencing a death of a family member, there are several unknowns that could be running through your head. We could help you with the legal aspects, and make sure that you understand the legal process and updates with your wrongful death claim.
- Our Sacramento Accident attorneys will investigate the circumstances of the death to determine exactly how the accident occurred. Sometimes, it is not so clear. There may be several different parties involved in an accident, such as a slip and fall accident. These different parties could include the employer, the property manager, and the property owner. It takes extensive investigation to determine who are the responsible parties, and how the accident happened.
- Our experienced Sacramento wrongful death lawyers will determine the value of your claim. We are not able to give a direct value amount on the phone. Instead, we recommend that you come into our initial complimentary consultations to discuss your potential Sacramento wrongful death claim so we could better evaluate your case.
- Our well-known Sacramento attorneys will file the wrongful death lawsuit on your behalf in Sacramento court. There are several different requirements that we must have to meet when filing such a claim. That is why we recommend that you speak to our experienced attorneys. Choosing an inexperienced lawyer could be very risky.
What kind of compensation could I receive for my Sacramento wrongful death claim?
We know that no dollar amount could replace the family member that you have lost. But, wrongful death cases bring emotional support to a family member when making sure that the negligent party was held responsible for their actions. Below are some examples of compensation that you could receive from a wrongful death case in Sacramento:
- funeral expenses
- burial expenses
- loss of financial support
- loss of companionship
- loss of consortium
- medical expenses prior to the family member’s death
- punitive damages (although rarely award)
When must I file my wrongful death claim in Sacramento?
- With every type of lawsuit, you have a time limit on when you must file your claim. If you file your claim after the time when it has passed, then your claim will be denied by the court for filing too late. Sacramento courts take this rule very seriously, even being a day late could have your entire case thrown out.
- You have 2 years from the date of the death to file your long full death lawsuit in Sacramento. But, there are several different exceptions to this limitation. For example, if you are filing a case against a government entity, you have six months from the date of the death to file your lawsuit. A claim must be filed against the government entity. If the death was caused by medical malpractice or a medical provider’s negligence, then you have three years from the date of the incident or one year after the death. This could get very complicated, that is why we recommend that you speak to our highly qualified attorneys for more information on when to follow your wrongful death claim.
- The number one piece of advice that our Sacramento lawyers could give is to make sure that you speak to our attorneys right away the minute that you believe that you have a wrongful death claim against a negligent party.
Why should I file a wrongful death claim?
This is a question that we received from several of our clients when thinking about whether they should file a wrongful death claim in Sacramento. We understand that nothing could replace your family member, but, after experiencing the death in the family, the family may suffer financial burdens. This is especially true if the deceased had medical expenses prior to passing away. Damages are available for the deceased family members, and the family members could get compensation for loss of services and loss of income.
How much could I recover for my wrongful death claim in Sacramento?
Wrongful death claims could go from hundreds of thousands of dollars to millions of dollars depending on the circumstances of the accident. For example, if the family member also had a high earning position prior to the accident, the family members could also get loss of income. Because each person’s circumstance is different, we recommend that you speak to our experienced attorneys right away.
Call Megeredchian Law today to schedule a one-on-one consultation with our compassionate Sacramento wrongful death lawyers.